➭ The January Children Read ➵ Author Safia Elhillo – 9tvuk.us

The January Children In Her Dedication Safia Elhillo Writes, The January Children Are The Generation Born In Sudan Under British Occupation, Where Children Were Assigned Birth Years By Height, All Given The Birth Date January 1 What Follows Is A Deeply Personal Collection Of Poems That Describe The Experience Of Navigating The Postcolonial World As A Stranger In One S Own Land.The January Children Depicts Displacement And Longing While Also Questioning Accepted Truths About Geography, History, Nationhood, And Home The Poems Mythologize Family Histories Until They Break Open, Using Them To Explore Aspects Of Sudan S History Of Colonial Occupation, Dictatorship, And Diaspora Several Of The Poems Speak To The Late Egyptian Singer Abdelhalim Hafez, Who Addressed Many Of His Songs To The Asmarani An Arabic Term Of Endearment For A Brown Skinned Or Dark Skinned Person Elhillo Explores Arabness And Africanness And The Tensions Generated By A Hyphenated Identity In Those Two Worlds.No Longer Content To Accept Manmade Borders, Elhillo Navigates A New And Reimagined World Maintaining A Sense Of Wonder In Multiple Landscapes And Mindscapes Of Perpetually Shifting Values, She Leads The Reader Through A Postcolonial Narrative That Is Equally Terrifying And Tender, Melancholy And Defiant.

Is a well-known author, some of his books are a fascination for readers like in the The January Children book, this is one of the most wanted Safia Elhillo author readers around the world.

➭ The January Children  Read ➵ Author Safia Elhillo – 9tvuk.us
  • ebook
  • 72 pages
  • The January Children
  • Safia Elhillo
  • English
  • 17 May 2017
  • 1496200071

10 thoughts on “The January Children

It is not presumptuous of me to declare that what we have here in The January Children is the first sound of what will be a remarkable noise in African poetry Safia Elhillo has already laid out in this collection a complex foundation for a rich and ambitious body of work What is unmistakable is her authority as a poet she writes with great control and economy, but also with a vulnerability that is deeply engaging Above all, her poems are filled with delight a quality of humor that is neverIt is not presumptuous of me to declare that what we have here in The January Children is the first sound of what will be a remarkable noise ...

Not what I look for in a poetry collection in terms of form, but I love the themes of colonization, diaspora, and the issues of identity these states create in the author.

what is a country but the drawing of a lineI first encountered the poet Safia Elhillo when I read New Generation African Poets A Chapbook Box Set, where my favorite was What I Learned in the Fire, which must be listened to So I jumped at this collection of her poetry, her first Another reason is that Safia is Sudanese American, so her background and themes fit nicely with my Africa 2016 reading project She says herself that she is from nowhere, or at least that must be how it feelswhat is a country but the drawing of a lineI first encountered the poet Safia Elhillo when I read New Generation African Poet...

the Forward by Kwame Dawes is imperative if you want to understand and appreciate this collection lol Thank you to Netgalley via University of Nebraska Press for the e ARC.

I am neither a poet nor a particularly frequent reader of poetry, so I can t say that this review will be too incisive What can I say about The January Children First, it is beautiful, and it feels like home Unlike Safia, I am neither black nor Sudanese, but I am Egyptian, the daughter of immigrants, and the themes of colonialism and diaspora resonated with me Safia talks about the similarities that bind Egyptians and Sudanese and Nubians and the frequent racism and colorism that pulls us ap I am neither a poet nor a particularly frequent reader of poetry, so I can t say that this review will be too incisive What can I say about The January Children First, it is beautiful, and it feels like home Unlike Safia, I am neither black nor Sudanese, but I am Egyptian, the daughter of immigrants, and the t...

Haunting and lyrical, Elhillo writes for Sudanese people of the diaspora As such, not all of her words were easy to understand, but that s because these poems were not for me I still enjoyed their beauty and the glimpse at lives unlike my own.

i get my languages mixed up i look for answers in what is only musici heard the lyric about a lost girl i thought you meant me So many beautiful poems You can t help but fall in love with the Sudan that Safia writes about.

I really wanted to like this bookIt intrigued me by being a mix of cultures However for me, it fell flat It didn t speak to me like I hoped Maybe my expectations were too high I ll have to go back to this book later and reevaluate.

When it s beautiful it s almost ethereal.

absolutely enthralling engaging, elhillo never fails to amaze me this is a spectacular collection, something i suggest to anyone whenever friends ask me for recommendations i love elhillo s work primarily because i love the lyricism whimsical nature of her wordsi don t know, something just stirs up inside me when i read her poetry it s very poignant i d argue that although definitely beneficial important to know of you don t necessarily have to know about or un absolutely enthralling engaging, elhillo never fails to amaze me this is a spectacular collection, something i suggest to anyone whenever friends ask me for recommendations i love elhillo s work primarily because i love the lyricism whimsical nature of her wordsi don t know, something just stirs up inside me when i read her poetry it s very poignant i d argue that although definitely beneficial important...